Oct 25, 2007

missing a few people

I don't realise sometimes that partly by choice and partly not, I have somewhat isolated myself from what was once an incredibly social life. I ponder why i am not invited to certain events and why i don't attend certain events anymore. In the past, my weekends were full of birthdays, bbqs, dinners, lunches, house-warmings, parties, drinks etc. But lately, when I think about it, I rarely even go out on a friday for customary drinks at the Priv. Perhaps those days are gone, and perhaps it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Things have changed a fair bit in the last year, but nothing really for the bad. Sadly, it is a small group of friends and girl friends who are the ones i crave the most for. For their companionship, for their comfort, for their friendship. It is for this reason that i decided on a girls only high tea for my birthday and although not all the girls who attended are part of my super close bunch of friends, they are all girls who i think of as extremely dear and who i admire and love around. Conversations with these girls are always filled with interesting topics and smiles. And to break tradition, i didn't even go drinking or clubbing this year. I shall actually remember this one.

Perhaps a reason why my social life is a little quieter is that I don't feel the need to go out and party anymore, to spend my night in a smelly, sleazy joint ignoring guys 10 years my junior who are trying to pick up anything that wears a skirt, while sculling as many drinks as i can to make the night last longer. I feel that quiet dinners with funny conversations are more stimulating and an early night in front of a dvd more satisfying then getting tanked and regretting it in the morning. Since I have started my post grad studies (and my boyfriend studying his MBA) between the two of us, we have very little relax time. And through all the other aspects in our lives including spending quality time together, work, gym/basketball, we have little 'me time'.
Some may say, yes its the age thing, and perhaps it is. At 27, i don't feel the need to be partying like a 18 year old. I've got more money, I've got more brains and more class to know how to enjoy my time now. Sure there are those times that require a big piss-up - after exams, someone's birthday, but the regular thing is so yesterday for me.

As you get older, you do realise who are the special people in your life. And although it is good for the ego to have a lot of friends, it is the close ones that really make an impact on your life. The close ones are the ones that really matter in the long run. It is the close ones that truly make you whole.

To the few people who are missing from my life - i miss you all so much. I hope you come back soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're the lucky ones!

once you reach a certain point in your life, whether career or personally, you can look back at ease and thank your lucky stars where you are now.

a contemplative nature is just the start that life is content.

good on you!

so..?!! said...

hear hear!

Hope you have been well :)