Dec 12, 2006

the new world of litigation

Although this notion has been around for a while, it struck me hard last week.

Would you help someone at the risk of getting sued?

Australia has become a new US of A. Everyone wants to sue everyone and for any stupid thing.
For example, someone performs CPR on a person but is sued for bruising their chest.

Last week, as i sat in my store staring out at the bench outside, I noticed a thin, frail old man with a walking frame sitting down. As i watched i noticed him looking around, then trying to get up, then looking around, then trying to get up. This went on for around 5 minutes while i stared at him, wondering if i should help. It was painful watching him try to get up with one hand on the bench and one hand on his walking frame, slowly trying to steady himself. I finally decided, this was ridiculous, I will help him up. My colleague appeared next to me and asked what i was staring at. I pointed out to the old man, and asked him if he would go out and help the old man stand up.

To my surprise, my colleague said 'No way!!'

I was quite shocked and taken back as my colleague is usually very helpful and kind. When i asked him why, he said ' If i help him, and he falls, or i break his arm, he will sue me.'

Once again, i was speechless and i said ' oh come on, he will be grateful. ' And i got up and walked over to the door intent on helping this old man. My colleague almost grabbed my arm to stop me and said ' If you dont know how to help him up, he may fall, then he will sue you!!'
I couldnt believe it, I was actually torn. I stared at the old man, wondering, what if this was my father? Wouldnt i want someone to help him???

A few seconds later, the old man managed to raise himself up, and walked off. I felt so relieved and so low.

There are few things in life that are selfless acts. I have helped an old lady walk across a road, I have called taxis for numerous elderlys, I have helped a chinese lady find her bus with my crappy mandarin and pathetic cantonese (along with lots of pointing), I have ...... oh shit, is that all ive done??? But how can one be called to help another when we all live in fear of being sued??? What stupid ridiculous world do we live in?

No comments: