Sep 25, 2005

A good read

It has been a while since I've picked up a good book but after a lot of good recommendations, I have finally been drawn to open up High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Halfway through it, it is a real can't-put-down-book, so much so that I've almost missed my train stop a few times this week and been run over by numerous cars while crossing the street. With its wit, candidness and funny insight into the male psyche, it has got a real mix of things, one main one being music- with oldies such as Madonna's Holiday, Stevie Wonder's I just called to say I love you, and Katrina and the Waves' Walking on Sunshine getting a mention. The insight into how a man deals with breakups, the scarring effects and his mental growth (or lack thereof :P ) from pre-puberty through to puberty through to manhood is thoroughly engrossing and incredibly amusing!! Great topics such as first base ->second base i.e tits -> sex , performance anxiety issues, ex's - its all such a great read, particularly for a girl *grin*.

As I am writing this entry, another book pops into my head. It is Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. A book which I hate with pure passion, not because it was a book i had to study back to front in high school, but because it was a hideously hard read for a paperback half the thickness of High Fidelity. It was deep and dark yes (about the evils of imperialism as i remember it), but just a book that i will forever dislike. Books that I do like from high school? The Crucible, Othello and The Handmaid's Tale.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

"A sense of lugubrious drollery".

English being a second language, the only thing Conrad had to help him write was a thesaurus that sat next to his typewriter. If only they had shift+F7 back then:

...the abomination, the abomination...

Anonymous said...

Hey adeline i have read The Crucible and The Handmaid's Tale

Addy said...

"drollery" - bored till you fall asleep drooling on your dead weight arm? hehehehe

Anon, did you go to my highschool? hahahaah

The Handmaid;s Tale was made into a movie, but with a different name. Anyone know wot it was called?